What is it and why is it important?
Social-emotional learning (SEL) is the process of developing the self-awareness, self-control, and interpersonal skills that are vital for school, work, and life success.
Students who participate in SEL programs show*:
- Higher academic and life outcomes
- Lower high-risk behaviors such as violence, drug and alcohol use
- Lower likelihood to be bullies or be bullied
- And many others!
You can also learn more about Social Emotional Learning in our district click here
Social Emotional Learning Committee Initiatives
During the founding year of our committee’s work, we are focused on these initiatives:
- Support school counselor’s educational work
- SEL workshop(s)
- Add SEL activities to Red Ribbon week, Science Fair and others
- Materials/resources for classrooms
- Help spread district resources and events on this topic to our community
- Library: Add more books and highlight collection
Your ideas needed for more!
Interested in learning more about the Social Emotional Learning Committee? Contact Sve Alexandrov at SEL@osograndepta.com today.
*Source: Capistrano Unified School District